Wednesday 1 September 2010



I've decided to try and get back into non-digital painting with actual paint and stuff, and as part of that process I'm reading the excellent Alla Prima by Richard Schmidt (thanks to Jake for the heads up)

One of the (many!) things he talks about it trying to get a painting right from the get go, painting each section correctly as you go along. One of the benefits of this (he says) is that you can stop at any point and you'll have a technically correct painting. As I normally work completely differently than this; scribbling about initially and then slowly building up and improving as I go I thought I'd give this method a try. I think it can only really apply when drawing from life/reference, as unless you can perfectly and correctly picture your final image in your head before you begin then you've got nothing to paint!

Obviously this is still digital, but I'm at work so what can I do!

::edit::
done a bit more work on this one:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool painting!

SKIZO said...

Thank you for sharing
This fabulous work with us
Good creations

Anthony_B said...

Picked up Ala Prima a little while back, that book is probably one of the best kept secrets an artist can have. excellent progression on this piece

alexxx said...

Nice blog man! You've got some fresh strokes! Keep it up!